As much as I’m #teamsummer over here, I do look forward to one thing about the fall and those breezier temperatures. Comfort food reigns supreme in the next few months and I am all about it! Enter this quick and easy Shakshouka recipe!
One of our weekend favourites to pull together, this recipe belongs to my mom! What I love most about it is that it can easily be made the day before, making for a super easy weekend breakfast. I’ll usually send the boys off to get a fresh baguette while I warm it up. Once they’re back, I’ll just crack the eggs in and we are all set!
I feel like Shakshouka seems intimidating to make- that’s probably why it took me so long to try it myself! But in reality, it’s so so easy.
There are quite a few ingredients in it, but the best way to tackle that is to just prep everything before you start cooking. We use canned and fresh tomatoes, a whole lot of herbs and top it with a ton of feta!
Read on for our family favourite Shakshouka recipe!
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 large tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green pepper
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4-6 eggs
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- parsley for garnish chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel skin off tomatoes. Roughly chop and set aside. Dice green pepper and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil up. Add in onions and green peppers until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add in garlic, jalapeno pepper and all spices. Saute for 2-3 minutes until aromatic. Add chopped tomatoes and continue sauteeing for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, stir and cover for 20-30 minutes on low heat. Season with salt and pepper if need be.
- Cut butter and place evenly around sauce. Crack eggs on top of sauce. Immediately cover and let cook for 6-7 minutes or until the whites are set.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with parsley and feta cheese. Serve and enjoy!