An easy and hearty chili recipe as we head into winter!
One of my favourite ways to cook is by taking something store bought and adapting it into my kitchen. It’s a great way to save time when cooking but still be able to control the taste and spices of a dish! Did I mention it saves time!?
While coming up with a chili seasoning might not be the most tedious of tasks, sometimes a store bought packet of seasoning is just what you have on hand. And you gotta make it work!
Enter this yummy chili recipe- filled with beans, meat and oh yeah topped with cheese- it’s the perfect winter meal.
I’ve already made this twice for us this season and I’m planning on thawing out some leftovers at the end of the week! It’s a great one dish meal with minimal cleanup.
You can definitely make it more spicy if you want- mine has just the right amount for my taste!
And if you’re looking to cut calories I’m sure ground turkey would work just as well.
While it does need to simmer on the stove for a while, this is a great meal prep for a Sunday or even just during the week. Get it all going and let it cook during dinner time/ bath time etc. As soups usually go, it always tastes better the next day!
Read on for the details!
Winter Chili Recipe
- 1 onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 lb ground beef medium or lean
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 3 cans diced tomatoes around 14-16 ounces each
- shredded cheddar, green oinions and sour cream to garnish
- Dice onion and green pepper. Set aside. In a large pot, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Drain excess oil and remove beef from pot. Set aside for now. In the same pot over medium heat, add oil. Once heated through, add onion and green pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add cumin and chili powder. Stir an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in canned tomatoes. Cover and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove cover, add in beans, chili seasoning and ground beef. Cover again and cook on low heat at a simmer for 3-4 hours.
- Remove from heat. Top with your choice of garnish. We opted for cheese, green onions for a crunch and a dollop of sour cream!