I know I’m not the only one that struggles with that age old question of what to make for dinner.
When Sunday rolls around, I’m left desperately trying to come up with 4-5 meals for the week. Things I can make with Aren running around. Things that don’t require 800 ingredients. And things that we didn’t just eat yesterday. It’s a tough order!
So I thought I’d share some of my favourite weeknight meals in the coming few weeks. Easy meals that we love to eat and tend to take less than 30 minutes.
Like this Sesame Chicken.
Now it does have a lot of ingredients- don’t let that scare you!
But they’re ingredients you most likely have in your pantry. Soy Sauce, Rice Wine Vinegar, Sesame Oil -if you’re used to making stir fry or Asian inspired dishes, chances are you have these!
I love the trick of coating the chicken with cornstarch and egg whites. It gives it a great batter and makes it crispy. Perfect if you’re like me and the thought of deep frying scares you 😉
And the sauce? Well I like to make a ton for leftovers. Or to dip the broccoli in! Whatever you prefer!
Stay tuned as I’ll be sharing another super easy recipe this week- my go to homemade taco salad that we eat all the time! If you were following on Insta stories you’d know that it was a close call between these two recipes!!
Bon Appetit and Happy Monday!
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast cubed
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 egg whites
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce we use low sodium
- 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- scallions to garnish
- Mix egg whites with cornstarch in a large mixing bowl. Add a dash of salt and pepper. Whisk well. Add cubed chicken pieces to bowl and coat with egg mixture until fully covered.
- Heat oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Place chicken one by one into skillet and let cook, 3-4 minutes per side. (You don't want to just empty the entire chicken into the skillet because the eggs will immedately start to set and you will have one giant piece of chicken!)
- Toast sesame seeds over very low heat on a small skillet for 3-4 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare sauce. Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, agave syrup, ginger, toasted sesame seeds and water in a mixing bowl. Whisk well.
- Drain any extra oil from skillet once chicken is fully cooked. Pour in sauce over chicken and let reduce, 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with rice and broccoli and enjoy!