You guys know that I’m all about quick meals but these days that’s even more true. If it takes longer than 30 minutes- I’m not making it!
Pasta has been a go to for obvious reasons- easy to make ahead of time not to mention quick. But balance is key with pasta, am I right?! Creamy pastas are always my favourite but I am trying to lighten it up a bit- hence this healthy-ish Turkey Ragu.
Ok so you got me-it is with rosé sauce. But it’s filled with veggies like zucchini and kale. Which totally makes it healthy in my books.
Ps kale is my ultimate go to for pasta. I keep a bag of frozen leaves in the freezer and just crumble them into my sauces all the time. It’s such an easy way to add in that extra vegetable serving. I’d recommend just washing your kale, cutting out the spine in the middle and freezing in a ziplock bag!
Long story short- this pasta is super easy to make. If you prep the rosé sauce ahead of time, the whole thing might take you just 20 minutes to put together. 20 minutes! That’s my kind of dinner these days. And if you want to buy store bought rosé sauce, it’s even easier! And I promise not to judge because I’ve definitely done that once or twice in recent months! You can also use your own go to sauce as well! I’ve left mine down below for you to check out in case you’re in need of a good one!
Happy eating friends! I hope you enjoy this quick meal as much as we do!
Penne with Turkey Ragu
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 zucchini diced
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups rosé sauce recipe to follow
- 200 grams penne pasta
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Basil or Parsley to garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In the meantime, prepare ragu.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Toss in zucchini and cook for 8-10 minutes until cooked down.
- Add in ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Use a wooden spoon frequently to break up turkey and stir. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Toss in kale and stir until wilted, 2 minutes.
- Pour in rosé sauce and let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Season again if need be with salt and pepper. Add in cooked pasta and stir well. Serve and garnish with basil or parsley.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 28 ounces can of San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash of salt
- Warm up medium sized pot over medium heat. Add in oil and butter. When warmed up, slowly toss in onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until onions are becoming translucent.
- Add in San Marzano tomatoes and sauce. Gently crust tomatoes with your hand until they are in small pieces! You'll want to do this right away so the tomatoes don't get too hot! Season with salt and pepper, and a little bit of salt.
- Cook down for 20 minutes. Remove from heat let cool for 5 minutes. Using an immersion blender, blend until sauce is smooth, about 1-2 minutes. At this point add in cream and stir to blend. Use immediately or let cool and save for later use.