One of our favourite satiating meals, this Crispy Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Mayo always hit the spot!
I have a weakness in life, and it involves chicken that has been fried and usually served with French fries. Ok, so that’s just one of my weaknesses. But it’s a big one. I live for a crispy chicken sandwich.
But I do try to eat it in moderation.
And I do try to make my own version at home. A slightly healthier version!
Partially fried and partially baked in the oven, this chicken sandwich are a must for us! You can’t skimp on the other details though. A spicy mayo is a necessity as is good bread. We opt for fresh brioche buns from our local bakery. The best for a burger or chicken sandwich if you ask me!
And I always go oversized with my chicken- just a quick fyi!
I like the bread and chicken ratio to be slightly skewed in favour of the chicken. But you do you!
Read on for this perfect comfort food meal and Bon Appetite!
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 brioche buns
- 2 tbsp spicy mayo
- 4 tsp mayo
- 1/2 cup sliced pickles
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees Farenheit. Cut chicken breasts in half horizontally. Pound chicken until even, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Prep your breading stations : Combine flour and cornstarch. Whisk well and season with s + p in one station, beaten eggs in second, and breadcrumbs in third. Bread each cutlet, starting with flour and ending with breadcrumbs.
- Add 1/2 inch of oil to large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, cook chicken until golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Place on wire rack over a baking sheet in oven and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes on low heat. For me, this step ensures that my chicken is cooked throughout perfectly, without risking it getting too dry! Too often with chicken breasts, the middle can be a little raw if your timing is off by even just one minute! Placing it in the oven for a few extra minutes on that low heat can get you to that perfect temp!
- While chicken is in oven, spread 1 tsp mayo on cut side of each brioche bun. Warm up, cut side down on, on a medium skillet for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To Assemble your sandwich:Add 1 chicken cutlet to bottom of bread. Top with shredded lettuce and pickles. Spread 1/2 tbsp spicy mayo on top part of bun and gently place on top.